Skip to content

Boing Boing Sucks

Have you had just about enough of BoingBoing‘s ‘whimsy’ and the navel-gazing of the site’s authors. Finally come to the realization that the site is nothing but a platform for the self-promotion of its vapid authors? The backlash was boung to come sooner or later and come it has. Boing Boing has spawned two hate sites. The first is CorySucks.com, which uses an algorithm to calculate just how much Boing Boing author Cory Doctorow’s posts to the site suck. Then there’s XeniSucks.com, a much more personal site dedicated to attacking Internet flibbertigibbet and self-described ‘tech journalist’ Xeni Jardin.

9 Comments

1. Yeehaw wrote:

The worst thing about BoingBoing is their so-called “Moderation Policy,” which is at best obnoxious, but may be more fully and accurately described as sanctimonious, imperious, and draconian, not to mention, incoherent and just incredibly insulting. Teresa Nielsen Hayden is the suckiest of all BoingBoing-sters.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 5:23 am | Permalink
  2. coldwar23 wrote:

Yeah BB can go suck an egg. They link-pad, backpat hit-count link to other blogs, and live off the backs of their readers/subbys. TNH has to be one of the biggest cunts I have ever had the pleasure of having meeting on the interwebs, and her (and thus BBs) moderation policy is to only support their side of the story and all dissenters get Godwined over to the “disemvoweling” or troll corner with the other people. I have actually received a very nice expletive-laden email from Cory (who knew profanity was his medium) that is one of his best “writings” ever. The man cannot write his way out of a paper bag so he has to release his books for free eventually so he can write it off on his taxes and his main source of income these days is doing talks at Cons. Xeni or Jenny Jordan is probably the worst one of all. I like tech girls, but blog skanks are another thing. You read her resume and you’d should be hearing her name every 30 minutes on radio, news tv etc. That is because most of these are just consultation credits where CNN or NPR email her for her opinion on something and walla her CV gets fatter and CNN gets their “industry insider” news bite. She is an attention whore, obviously not caring whether the attention is tech related or salacious and often times tries to mix the two to her benefit. This backfired on her when she found out about “good attention” and “bad attention” in the public posts and was so butthurt about it they had to CHANGE THE SITE. Fark and Somethingawful, love em or hate em, have far more open discourse and prove you can have a forum community that can self police b-tards, trolls, and unicorn chasers without hamfisted banhammering, and people actually bringing up good alternative views to problems. BB needs to grow up and TNH should never be allowed to moderate anything ever again on the internet. She should start a blog about neat, square-shaped objects she finds and takes pics of on her walk home from the organic farmer’s market and laser compost pyramid. Sorry I am so late to the party 🙂

Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Permalink
  3. poi wrote:

Yeah, I was “perma-banned” by posting contra left of center and pro-Julian Assagne policies of one of the moderators there. I thought it was interesting website until I realized how ideologically motivated they are (don’t even mention DRM). They are repostings of stuff from Gizmodo and other websites anyways.

Saturday, April 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Permalink
  4. TC wrote:

Wow, 5 years later and this post is still getting comments. Yes, BB is ideological driven. I wish that they wouldn’t post political posts, but they do. And they do not categorize them as such so you can’t filter them out. When criticized for their “selective” political coverage, the most often response is either to:
    1. Censor the comment, or, attack or ban the commentator.
    2. Hide behind the defense, “Hey, it’s just a blog!”

There commenting policy is so two-faced as well. They allow attack comments that insult those who have a dissenting opinion, and ban or censor others.

They are clearly anti-Arab and anti-Christian too.

Strip out the ideological political agenda please. Actually, removing Xeni Jardin would solve 90% of that problem.

Someone should create a “Free” discussion board to air concerns. Only by providing a forum for expression can we affect change.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink
  5. Arg wrote:

BoingBoing sucks. They’re a bunch of shallow weasels who got popular and promptly went crooked. When I remarked I liked the old, non-commercial, non ad-laden BB better, they promptly banned me. Sanctimonious, hypocritical assholes.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 at 2:06 am | Permalink
  6. dke wrote:

Same experience here. f*** those guys.

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Permalink
  7. Andrew Suber wrote:

I was banned as a commenter and had my comments deleted because I said some negative comments about Zooey Deschanel.

I wasn’t hostile, offensive or puerile. I was making cultural comments on public culture. I don’t have any personal agenda against Zooey.

They are entitled to have any sort of editorial policy they want. They are massive hypocrites, however, for pushing other entities to practice tolerance and forbearance in regard to dissent. They should have a publicly-posted community standards, due process and review of bannings.

It’s an eye opener… I had no idea how many comments were deleted and how many dissenting voices have been banned. It’s okay, however, I spend too much time on the Internet anyway.

Saturday, June 8, 2013 at 10:10 am | Permalink
  8. DreAmeoba wrote:

a full decade later, & they still suck, “fascist hipster”,ignorant,arrogant,politically over-opinionated butth*les….

Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 8:17 pm | Permalink
  9. Juvenal451 wrote:

Yeah, this is an old post, but when you’re searching for Boingboing sucks, there it is.

Not having received any updates for awhile, I went to the Boingboing site, read a few posts, and, thinking I would leave a comment myself, found out I had been banned for the rest of my life, labeled a “Racist moron,” and been invited to fuck myself.

Racist? Me? I went back through my communications from Boingboing and discovered that my crime was to question whether the Australian government’s immigration detention camp at Nauru was a “concentration camp” in the same sense as, say, Buchenwald.

Out I went. My crimes seemed to be accepting the legitimacy of countries HAVING immigration controls at all; and, mainly, not COMPLETELY agreeing with their ideological slant on the Nauru camps. As other posters above have noted, I was polite while others heaped scorn upon me, yet I was the one booted.

No, Boingboing moderator… fuck Yourself.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 5:48 pm | Permalink